[78-L] Robert Johnson records claimed to be recorded 20% slow

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Mon Dec 13 14:19:07 PST 2010

When I found the following article several weeks ago I paid it little
attention, as it seemed like a crackpot theory. The claim is that
Robert Johnson's records were originally recorded three semitones
slower than how they're typically played back (i.e. people have been
playing them back about 19% too fast). Assuming that they're usually
played at 78.26 RPM, that would mean the proper playback speed would
be around 65.8 RPM. Here is the article, along with samples of the
recordings slowed to the speed the author believes is correct:

http://www.touched.co.uk/press/rjnote.html

Now I see that this article has gotten attention from The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/may/27/robert-johnson-blues

and something called The Daily Swarm:

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/everything-you-know-about-robert-johnson-wrong/

I think the idea is nonsense. I can believe that the correct playback
speed for Johnson's records is something other than 78.26, but I
highly doubt that the difference is three semitones.

Thoughts?

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/