[78-L] Discographic question

goldenbough at arcor.de goldenbough at arcor.de
Mon Dec 13 12:12:06 PST 2010

.
Steve,

I fully agree with your view. This is why I tend to include ALL this information -
as long as I have these facts. But how to guess the artist's intentions, as you say?
Much of it may be unknown to me. Or generally.

To come back to my examples.
A person who has the recording of 'SE PA SA' in hands, would look up this title
under letter S.  A musician who heard this song live without reading the title,  may be
aware of the correct French spelling which is C'EST PAS ÇA and may check it out under
letter C.  So, the cross-reference must be there.

The amount of cross-references of identical tunes with different titles nearly drives
me crazy. It's like the titles of Anglo/Scottisch-American fiddle tunes like DEVIL'S DREAM.

T'en As Eu, T'en N'Auras Pas =
= Vas Y Carrément
= Step It Fast
= Steppin' Fast
= Robe A Joséphine
= Canadi-Canada
= Boule de Peau d'Lapin

Probably all published versions to be grouped under VAS Y CARREMENT, as this was the first
published recording. So, under VAS Y CARREMENT you will find a list of all artists who published
this tune under whatever title, with corresponding record label and number.
Details will have to be looked up in the 'Master Listing' - which is the label listing by number.

All I can do in the label listing is add all other info as a remark or footnote, if I ever know these
facts. Like:
'Teener...'    -   Note:  Should read, 'Tina...'
'Yaraba...'    -   Note:  Should read, 'Yoruba...'

Yes, indeed, SOME challenge.

Benno