[78-L] Discographic question

goldenbough at arcor.de goldenbough at arcor.de
Mon Dec 13 08:23:50 PST 2010

.
The recording as such, 'as it is in the grooves', is what it's about.
Therefore this is what has to be listed.

Anything else, like inversed labels, inversed masters or wrong titles printed on the labels
are to be dealt with in comments or footnotes.

So, list the correct information, and make annotations. This is what I suggest.

I have the same problem with my upcoming discography 'Cajun Music on Records 1925-2007'.
For example
- when all copies of re-issue have labels reversed
- when the issue has correct matrix number on label, but masters are reversed
- when all copies of an issue have wrong master used (another issued song by same artist)
- when 3 consecutive issues of the same record (same number) have 3 different spellings of the
titles PLUS 3 different artist credits.
- when there were records with different couplings on later issues
- when the same record number was used twice (or in one case THREE times) for
different artists and songs
- when the same title was used for a completely different song
etc. etc.

My solution seems to be a viable one, because there cannot be any misunderstanding:
Only the recording counts (the master number of the recording).

Averything else can then be handled easily:

'I Scream, You Scream'   - see   'ICE CREAM'
'Opelousas Waltz' (mislabelled on Starday 789 -  see (actual track on record) 'LOUISIANA'
Coates, Harry  (misprint on DeLuxe 1234) - see  CHOATES, HARRY
etc.

Any opinions most welcome.

Benno