[78-L] Non-Miller compilation

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Dec 11 16:31:53 PST 2010

Greetings from FixitLand!

Dan Van Landingham wrote:

> I once had,on an LP,a recording of Savitt doing "Sugar Foot Strut"
> from 1941 on
> Bluebird.He was still doing the shuffle thing but by 1942,when he
> added five
> strings,he had gotten away from
> it.The band was no longer recording as "Jan Savitt and his Top
> Hatters".The
> recording I had was
> called "If You Ever,Ever Loved Me" and had a vocal by Gloria
> DeHaven.It was also
> on Bluebird.

Got both of those two..."Sugar Foot Strut" is on Victor 27464 (5 May
1941) and "If You Ever, Ever Loved Me" is on Bluebird B-11584 (the B
side, IIRC; 28 July 1942). I like 'em too; gotta dig 'em out and
transfer 'em! (that is, once I get a replacement hard drive
installed; aargh!). I'll need to look at the labels, but I think they
still say "...and his Top Hatters."

Take care,

Joe
—