[78-L] Joe Loss (was: Non-Miller compilation)

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Fri Dec 10 17:19:42 PST 2010

Joe Loss led one of the most popular dance bands in Britain from 1930
all through the 1940's and managed to stay in business in the rock-era
as well, both with big band music, dance music, and pop. He charted with
pop records in the UK in the early 1960's and used to lead the orchestra
in the yearly New Musical Express Poll Winners concerts at the time.
According to the official Joe Loss website
http://www.toddmillermusic.com/
Loss used "In The Mood" as a band signature as early as 1938 (Miller
recorded in 1939).

Loss' first single issue of "In The Mood" was recorded January 1940
(studio recording). A live version was, as Taylor pointed out, recorded
in Blackpool on August 8, 1941, and there were two medleys featuring "In
The Mood", the first of them a studio recording from October 31, 1940,
the second a live recording (Edinburgh) on November 19, 1940.
In the 1950's Joe Loss specialized in recording big band classics -
there are, at least, one Loss album with Glenn Miller songs.
Joe Loss led his band until the year he died, 1990.
Kristjan

>>> 78-L at klickitat.78online.com