[78-L] "Mystery" country record

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Dec 10 12:38:43 PST 2010

"Old Hen Cackle" by Joe Evans (mandolin) and Arthur McClain (guitar). Recorded in NYC, May 20, 1931. Issued on Banner 32264, Oriole 8095, Perfect 12751, and Romeo 5095 as "Coleman & Harper." Couldn't find this in Tony Russell's "Country Music Records," but it is listed in Spottswood and Meade's "Country Music Sources." The song is a variant of the fiddle tune "Cacklin' Hen." Rarely performed on the mandolin, there are dozens of fiddle recordings of it by the usual hillbilly artists (McMichen, John Carson, Gid Tanner, et. al.)

Cary Ginell