[78-L] microphone technology

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 10 07:50:27 PST 2010

Did you notice that the last note of the 3rd movement is in the runout? Ward
didn't, in the transfer he did (I think it's his) for the Cleveland Orchestra
box set.

Brunswick was also known to dub masters, sometimes to dull the sound and pass
the wear test, sometimes when the label size shrank. I still wonder whether
they ever recorded masters at 33 and dubbed to 78, as Columbia would do later.
The Cleveland Ork's Prelude in C# Minor has that heavy "transcription" sound.

dl