[78-L] Re; To Glue Records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Dec 8 12:24:34 PST 2010

From: Sergio Gutierrez <antoniopaints at hotmail.com>

From: Ken Matheson <kenmath at yahoo.com>
> I take a Bing Crosby, or other common record i don't need and super-glue
> the broken record to it. Make sure the hole lines up, and the side you
> want to save is on the outside. Don't get glue in the crack.  Ken

No No NO!!!!  Unless the record is smashed into four or more pieces this
is a very, very bad idea, and even then it is not the best way to do it.
 You are assuming that you only want one side of the broken record.  By
spreading glue on the back surface of the record you are creating an
unchangable repair and are more likely to have the pieces of uneven
height.  If there is any warp on the record this will not work. I would
NEVER glue one record to another, only tape it.  I can tape it to
another record or I can use tape on the other side.  I could do my dub
of one side and then remove the tape and work on the other side.  I've
done this a lot, especially for glass transcriptions.  One sided discs
make this much easier.

For records where the breaks go to the outer rim, I put a drop of
Krazy-Glue-type at the rims after knowing that the pieces will allign up
tightly.  It is necessary to use a liquid glue of this type if the
pieces do tightly fit together.  If the breaks go to the lead-out area
this is also when I put the glue.  If there are hair cracks or if you
see that a crack is about to happen, I support these with a drop of glue
at the rim.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com