[78-L] Yuletide Date Requests

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:26:50 PST 2010

Would like some dates, and any other info as indicated, on the recordings below:

Victor Program Transcription L-4504
Nat Shilkret and The Victor Salon Group:
(-3) Stephen Foster Melodies: Suite No. 1
(-2) Stephen Foster Melodies: Suite No. 2

RCA Victor 22-0052
Freddie Evans, Gospel Singer
(50-0036-B) Sow Righteous Seed
Freddie Evans' Gospel Trio
(50-0036-A) I Got To Run To The City Four Square

Blackwood Bros. Quartet, Shenandoah, Iowa 1168
(1168-A) Peace in the Valley
(1168-B) Shelter From the Storms
(Gospel Supply Co. - 2131 Kern - Fresno, Calif.)

Dixie 104-A
Tommy Barton: Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer
Town & Country Boys: White Christmas
Wayne Walters: Blue Christmas
Town & Country Boys: Jingle Bells
Dixie 104-B
Hal North: Frosty the Snow Man
Hal North: Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Wayne Walters: I'll Be Home For Christmas
Jill West: Here Comes Santa Claus

Dixie 105-A
Anonymous Organ & Chimes
Silent Night
O Holy Night
Adeste Fideles
Hark The Herald Angels Sing
Dixie 105-B

Anonymous Organ & Chimes
Ave Maria (Schubert)
The First Noel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
Away in a Manger
Silver Bells

Dixie 106-A
Santa Claus (Himself): A Message from Santa
Music Hall Drama Group: The Night Before Christmas
Vocaleers: Little Town of Bethlehem
Dixie 106-B
Leon Payne: Christmas Everyday
Judy Harriett: I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
Vocaleers: Deck the Halls

These Dixie records are microgroove 78s; performance style for most sound like Southern California to me, and a Western Swing styled group play on many, but not all, of these anonymous/pseudonymous selections. The girl identified as "Judy Harriett" and "Jill West" is the same singer, who can't incidentally sing her way out of a paper bag. My wife and I thought from the first couple of cuts of the organ/chimes record that it might be Korla Pandit, but as it wore on I became less and less sure of that.

thanks,

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com