[78-L] Pagliacci set on British Columbia

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 4 19:20:42 PST 2010

Sorry, Philip. I've heard the set and if you prefer idiosyncratic, fine. I
transferred it and hoped I'd never have to listen to it again. As for the
conductor, my error, it's Eugene Goossens Senior. I was looking at a photocopy
of the album's liner and missed the "Snr". Why are you jumping down my throat
over a legitimate opinion which have been echoed on this list? Good singers,
bad concept. Opera in English was something considered a necessity at one point
and may still have its defenders, but even you'd have to admit that it can
sound pretty ludicrous.

dl