[78-L] Scranton Sirens

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Sat Dec 4 18:15:24 PST 2010

Wow, Malcolm, thanks for digging those Record Research articles out. I
think most OKeh matrices in the early '20s started with a single "S,"
so saying that the Scranton Sirens record is an OKeh product because
both sides contain an "S" in the matrix prefix (SRP-S-4) seems like
pretty thin evidence to me too -- especially since both parts of the
band's name begin with "S" and the custom matrix number might refer to
the Sirens. I wonder if the Metronome article has much more info? I'll
have to try to find it.

Can anyone make sense of the "ND" logo in the runout to the right of
the label? I've got a handful of acoustic white label test pressings
of dance bands (with three digit matrix numbers handwritten on the
otherwise blank labels) from the early 1920s with the exact same
markings in the runout, so I suspect that they come from the same place.

Thanks!
Bryan W.