[78-L] Canadian SPILKA UKRAINSKOI MOLODI-SUM

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 21:09:52 PST 2010

Not to change the subject,but on a Melodie Jazz Classics" CD I have of the 1940
Georgie Auld
Orchestra,the personnel lists Tony Pastor as being one of the section tenor
players and trumpet-
er John Best as in the band.This was the Artie Shaw band sans Artie Shaw as you
know and this
was the band that recorded for Obie's Varsity label in January and February of
1940.Pastor got
a contract at RCA recording with his own band on Bluebird and John Best,whom I
knew,was f-
irmly ensconced in Glenn Miller's band then.He was out of the band when Shaw cut
"Oh,Lady Be
Good" on 27 Aug 1939.Harry Geller was his replacement.Some enlightenment on the
personnel
would be appreciated.In late 1935,Geller happened to have the unfortunate
happenstance of re-
placing Bunny Berigan in Goodman's band.