[78-L] Monty Sunshine RIP

Tim Huskisson timhuskisson at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 30 16:00:51 PST 2010

Re. 'PETITE FLEUR'(any clarinettists here?)- Monty Sunshine's version is in
the key of G#(Ab) Minor - Bechet's was in G minor - I'd read somewhere that
Monty learned the tune from a Bechet 78 that was spinning too fast on the
turntable. But as a clarinettist myself, often requested to play this tune,
I'd long suspected that Monty actually recorded it in G minor (a much easier
key) and producer Joe Meek sped it up.
Of course Monty hadn't been with the Chris Barber band for many years, but
they still play 'Petite Fleur' and I heard this evening that they always
play it in G# minor.

Tim Huskisson