[78-L] Barney Rapp Victor test

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Nov 20 12:04:43 PST 2010

Greetings from FixitLand!

Han Enderman wrote:

> Joe,
> The record was not sold in the auction !
> At present it is not shown in seller's shop items, but maybe he
> still has it and you may contact him.
> Actually I saw this completed auction tonight (it is night here!)
> and assumed you would be interested.

O-oh Ye-a-h...! I just figured that since this was mentioned, some
other 78-ellers might also be interested...urk!

> The "3" take is handwritten at left of hole. Is this the normal way?
> The issued records have the take also at 9h, but then it is a tiny
> nr and stamped.
> So did they add the take & release nr when the stampers were made?
> IIRC on Australian HMVs the handwritten info can be seen underneath
> the labels.

For Victor records of this vintage, yes...a machine-stamped take
number is (usually) added at the edge of the music grooves at 9:00
position (i.e., left of the hole) prior to the "scooping" of the
label area (which removes all the hand-scribed data). The catalog
number is (again, *usually*) stamped in larger type size at 6:00 (or
12:00 for a single-face issue). Fortunately for discographers,
foreign issues of many acoustic Victor matrices do *not* have that
data scooped out, as you've noted.

Take care,

Joe
--
It's my cats' world. I'm just here to fill their food dish.