[78-L] Barney Rapp Victor test

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Nov 19 19:10:29 PST 2010

Joe,
The record was not sold in the auction !
At present it is not shown in seller's shop items, but maybe he still has it and you may contact him.
Actually I saw this completed auction tonight (it is night here!) and assumed you would be interested.

The "3" take is handwritten at left of hole. Is this the normal way?
The issued records have the take also at 9h, but then it is a tiny nr and stamped.
So did they add the take & release nr when the stampers were made?
IIRC on Australian HMVs the handwritten info can be seen underneath the labels.

Han Enderman
===

Han Enderman wrote:

> Ebay # 330494827121 (not sold)
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/RAPPS-ORCH-Roaming-Away-Brunswick-25853-Test-
> Dance-/330494827121?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4cf306da71
>
> is listed as a Brunswick test, but the description plus
> the bad label image indicate that it is:
> (BARNEY) RAPP''S ORCH, Roaming Away, mx 25853, recd Dec 7, 1921,
> listed in first ADBD as Vic rejected.
> So at least the test exists (single-sided?) and may be of interest
> to someone.
>
> The label shows also 2 letters/digits next to the spindle hole.
> A letter "K" at 3-o'clock, and
> a digit "3" or the letter "B" at 9h.
> Is this take 3 or what is the meaning of the letters?

Very definitely a Victor test pressing of matrix B 25853-3.

http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/700011117/
B-25853-Roaming_away_from_me

That's either a 'K' or an 'R' right of the hole; not sure of the
meaning in either case. All three takes are marked Destroyed
according to EDVR.

> Does the new ADBD show that a rejected take exists?

Have not seen the new ADBD so can't answer that one.

I sure wish I'd seen this item go up for auction! Rats.

Take care,

Joe
Victors (but NOT 1932-on issues!) have (a) digit(s) in the 9:00
position which is the take. I would guess this also applies to
sides which only exist as "test pressings?!" I have to admit
that I have NO idea as to the meaning of other markings...?!

Steven C. Barr
<<<