[78-L] Paul Whiteman-recording venue?

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Nov 16 16:13:58 PST 2010

From: victrola78s at aol.com
> My thanks to Professor Lennick & Mr. Holtin on their responses on "Wistful
> and Blue". No WONDER the sound is so expansive! How did Whiteman get the
> use of Orchestra Hall? Was he on tour in Chicago in '26, and managed to
> cut this during the trip? Also a kick to find I've managed to pick up
> Bing's first record with "Pops". For me the three pop bands that epitomize
> the 1920s "sound" are Whiteman, George Olsen, and Irving Aaronson-I don't
> think I'll ever tire of their efforts. And the joys of discovery always
> run high for me as an "intermediate" collector, since I get happily
> surprised whenever I stumble across a first like this Whiteman record. Ok,
> I'm not "Basic 78rpm Collecting 101" student, let's say I'm up at the 102
> level:)

1) (RCA) Victor was a MAJOR corporate operation at that point; I would guess
they had no
problem (they certainly had the funds...?!) renting Orchestra Hall for a
performance (or
making arrangements to record performances therein...?!).

2) IMHO, the definitive 20's recording is Aaronson's "Lets Misbehave"...?!
In about
three minutes, it manages to include every "twenties cliché...vocal and
instrumental!

3) IMHO again (but more so?!)

Steven C. Barr