[78-L] Average age

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Mon Nov 15 10:30:34 PST 2010

Hello David

On 13/11/2010, David Lennick wrote:
> I wish I had that stuff..most of it was very funny and well written
> and for better or worse, shaped my sense of humor and outlook on the
> world. In the case of parodies, they made me want to seek out the
> originals. Adventure and super hero comics get reprinted and
> anthologized, but the real "comic" stuff (except for MAD) never seems
> to turn up. Aside from huge expensive bound reprints of newspaper
> strips like Popeye and Peanuts. I want to read Donald Duck's
> conversion to "Flipism" again, gang..it's only been 58 years..

I can't help on Donald Duck, but I see that Fantagraphics are planning
to reprint the entire run of Floyd Gottfriedson's Mickey Mouse strips.

(This is the publisher that is doing the complete Peanuts.)

Reprint series are under way of Blondie, L'il Abner, Popeye, Moomin,
Orphan Annie, Gasoline Alley ("Walt and Skeezix"), Krazy Kat, Polly and
Her Pals. Pogo is coming some time next year.

Among the adventures and soaps being reprinted are Rip Kirby, Mary
Perkins on Stage, Juliet Jones, Dick Tracy, and Prince Valiant. Terry and
the Pirates are completely reprinted up to when Milton Caniff left the
strip.

This is a Golden Age for comics reprints.

Expensive, though.

Regards
--
Don Cox