[78-L] zoo Duriums

John G. jgozza at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 15 03:50:52 PST 2010

This sounds very much like a set which I junked years ago in a furniture shop !   Namely:

ZOO VOICES.    To mark the launch of Zoo Magazine in June 1936, six 5" Duriums in a folder,  " specially  recorded  at  the  Zoological Gardens,  Regent's Park and  Whipsnade,  with running commentary by Julian  Huxley,  Secretary of the  Zoological  Society  of London," went on sale for 1/6d ! (= 7½ " p.)    These well produced records featured the following animals:

1. Sealions, incl. Gus & Nobby

2. The larger birds - sarus crane,emu, ibis, heron,flamingo

3. The howling pack -wolves,dingoes, hyena.

4. Birds - sea and bateleur eagle, American osprey, vulturine guinea  fowl, white pelican

5. The larger cats - lions, tigers, puma, leopard, serval cat

 6. The noisy ones - the parrot house and Mr. Huxley's own pet parrot

They're quite entertaining.

Another set  of small Duriums I nearly have complete is of music hall artistes  including  Marie Lloyd Junior, Harry Champion  et  al.  These were advertising items,as shown below.  The one I'm missing is Fred Barnes...
anybody got him??

AIRCRAFT PRODUCTS, 89 New Oxford Rd., brought out six 5"Durium-type discs of music hall artistes :  Harry  Champion,  Marie  Lloyd Jr., Wilkie Bard,  Florrie Forde,  Fred Barnes and Charles Coborn (1936)  They sold things as diverse as  watches and  razor blades, and made other advertising records.

John  Goslin     [in UK]