[78-L] Tape masters for syndicated radio

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 14 16:28:13 PST 2010

I've been listening to the Michael Shayne series produced in 1948 by the
Broadcasters Guild, and these are definitely from tape masters. Edits and
sudden level changes are evident, as well as some very abrupt music "fades".
Per dates scrawled on the labels, these began running in April 1948 at the
latest. We know about Bing Crosby using tape, but when did other production
studios and mastering facilities start? The discs are all cut and pressed by
RCA, except for the pilot which was done at Radio Recorders.

Interesting to hear various voices on these programs. Aside from Jeff Chandler,
I hear Jack Webb, Peter Leeds, Arthur Q. Bryan, Hans Conreid and Bill Conrad.