[78-L] Reissue 78's...

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Nov 14 11:49:19 PST 2010

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> The label looks like Columbia but the run-out grooves don't. Not RCA either.
> The locked groove is too far from the label to be either. That's an odd little
> logo below the label, an eighth note.  dl

It looks similar to what was on some MGM pressings in the 60s, but with
a line thru it.

I think this is a late issue.  I don't see it in the Clef Music Shop
listing of what they had for sale in the March 1952 Record Changer.
They show 5 volumes of Louis on 10-inch and a Vol 7 on 12-inch, and also
a Bechet 10-inch volume.  Catalog numbers are not there (but I think are
in Geoffrey's books), so this might have been pressed after the RCA link
was exposed.  I really don't remember if I have any Jolly Roger LPs -- I
am very impressed by the cover of this one.  Surely someone here has
some to check them out for us.

Dante Bolltino was only 23 when this happened!!  I'm reading some book
excerpts that discuss this, and one has a later interview with him.