[78-L] Paul Whiteman-recording venue?

victrola78s at aol.com victrola78s at aol.com
Sun Nov 14 06:17:16 PST 2010

My thanks to Professor Lennick & Mr. Holtin on their responses on "Wistful and Blue". No WONDER the sound is so expansive! How did Whiteman get the use of Orchestra Hall? Was he on tour in Chicago in '26, and managed to cut this during the trip? Also a kick to find I've managed to pick up Bing's first record with "Pops". For me the three pop bands that epitomize the 1920s "sound" are Whiteman, George Olsen, and Irving Aaronson-I don't think I'll ever tire of their efforts. And the joys of discovery always run high for me as an "intermediate" collector, since I get happily surprised whenever I stumble across a first like this Whiteman record. Ok, I'm not "Basic 78rpm Collecting 101" student, let's say I'm up at the 102 level:)

Dennis "Windy City" Forkel