[78-L] Reissue 78's...

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 13 16:47:09 PST 2010

On 11/13/2010 7:30 PM, Steven wrote:
> From: David Lennick
>> I think we were all pretty clearly talking about the early fifties,
>> despite Mr.
> Barr's reference to ARC, unless Steve merged three decades into one and I
> missed something or the cat got in front of the computer screen again.
> Always
> best to blame the cat. She can take it.
>>
> Nope...Ecru (the ecru cat) had nothing to do with it...it was my apparent
> incorrect reference...! Nevertheless, ARC continued at least until early
> 1939...and its "corporate descendant" (whomever that was...?!) owned
> the rights to virtually all of the pre-WWII recordings!
>
> Also, the "legitimate" record industry had been doing little in the way of
> reissuing noted jazz sides (and NOTHING for other music genres) prior
> to 1949; my idea is that the appearance of "pirate" reissues forced
> them to realize there WAS a market for such records...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Note that no one has referred to the ;ate 40s 78 pirate reissues on Temple,
Sentry, British Jazz Society (or some such similar name). Interesting dubs on
those labels and some of them weren't half bad transfers. And some of them were
atrocious, like Zulu's Ball. Mae West's "My Old Flame" turned up on two of
these labels.

And it was MY cat I was attempting to blame..there's one square foot of flat
space on this desk and it's between me and the monitor.