[78-L] Average age was

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Nov 13 16:19:21 PST 2010

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> I think we were all pretty clearly talking about the early fifties, despite
> Mr. Barr's reference to ARC, unless Steve merged three decades into one

Actually Steve was very accurate for what happened in 1940, but not for
what happened in Feb 1952 which is what I was commenting on.  Your
references were in the mid 50s into the 60s with the mention of Vintage,
and that was yet another era.  Geoffrey Wheeler's books are good guides
to this.

There are several distinct eras.  In the 30s there were legit licensing
of masters by UHCA, HJC, and Commodore which ended when the majors
decided to increase their own reissue projects in 1940.  This continued
thru the 1940s, but in the post-war years some new companies took it
upon themselves to start reissue projects on 78s and then LPs without
licensing the masters from the owners.  All of these companies
voluntarily closed down suddenly within days of Feb. 7, 1952, the date
Jolly Roger's Dante Bolletino agreed to the out of court settlement.
This cleared the way for the other reissues by the majors which were the
subject of the rest of your comments.

In Jan 1952 only Jolly Roger had gotten sued because it was continuing
to issue Louis Armstrong LPs even after Columbia had issued four 12-inch
LPs with much of the same material.  To everyone's surprise Louie
entered into the suit because he actually had a royalty contract with
Columbia that even covered his 1920s recordings.  His 1924 contract had
included a royalty clause for him but only a straight payment for the
rest of the band!  Surprisingly, Columbia had been honoring that
contract and had actually been paying him royalties.

The Record Changer articles noted that had any of the other companies
waited and later got sued and took the majors to court, the outcomes
might not go automatically in the favor of the majors because the
settlement does not set any legal precedent.  Noting that the majors had
been rejecting legitimate requests to license masters, they called for
the majors to license companies to use their masters they are ignoring,
and said "We intend to press as hard as we can for a system of
authorized, licensed, independent reissues of jazz classics."  Bill
Grauer had been the writer of the earlier Record Changer articles and
might have written the March 1952 article and editorial, and shortly
thereafter he started doing reissues on Riverside.

> and I missed something or the cat got in front of the computer screen again.
> Always best to blame the cat. She can take it.  dl

Not OUR cat.  Chuck will not tolerate being blamed for something he was
not responsible for -- and he knows how to take revenge.  Be careful.
Be very careful.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com