[78-L] Average age

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Nov 12 11:22:11 PST 2010

Dan Van Landingham wrote,
"I haven't seen a high fidelity magazine like Audio or Stereo Review in
about 25 years."

From: "Stewart, Joseph R" <RandyStewart at MissouriState.edu>
> Ever seen "Stereophile" or "The Absolute Sound" on newsstands? They're aimed
> at the "high-end" audiophile(phool?), but still they're about as close to
> "High Fidelity," "Audio" or "Stereo Review" as you can get these days.

. . . in the United States. Around the world there ARE mainstream
magazines aimed at sound only.  "Audio" magazine, of course, got its
start as what was high-end back in the late 40s, and became mainstream
later on.

> Most of the more "mainstream" magazines that cater to what used to be the
> "stereo" audience are in the "home-theatre" genre.

They had previously tried to move into the computer field.  Some damn
fool consultant says they need to re-position themselves into a NEW
field, and they join a crowd populated with journals already produced by
experts -- and they find themselves like a fish out of water in an area
they know little about.  Then it is too late to go back -- even tho we
were still there and would have welcomed them back.  The U.S. has such a
boring magazine selection, but we can't get bargain subscriptions to the
overseas journals we would like.  "BBC Music" is about all I get
(because I had taken out a lifetime bargain rate years ago), and there
is practically nothing about equipment there, but I get to see evidence
that there still is some type of CD business in the rest of the world.

> Oh, yeah, I'll be 54 next Friday, and have been collecting 78s since I was a teenager
> Randy Stewart KSMU Arts Producer Springfield MO

I'll get my Medicare card in July.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com