[78-L] Average age

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 16:44:36 PST 2010

I'm 46, and was born when my dad was 41 and my mother 40.  (The US number 1
record at the time was 'I want to hold your hand' by the Beatles--on 78s in
India!)  Dad had bought records since the 1940s, but had left most all his
78s at my grandparents' house, so exploring the records there was something
out of another world to everything around me at home and in the rest of the
world.  All records have been fascinating to me, but there was always
something remarkable about those old fragile things, a certain immediacy and
impact, that the slower speed records had less of.

I also agree about the CD thing and the buzz (in a sense) you get from the
experience of actually handling vintage media and interacting with it to
hear what's recorded on them, be they records or other things like
reel-to-reel tapes or spools of wire (and I have some of each of those too).