[78-L] Average age (was: Jack Palmer)

Malcolm - Venerable Music malcolm at venerablemusic.com
Thu Nov 11 12:45:17 PST 2010

I'm 38 & have developed into a serious collector. I started about 4 1/2
years ago and have since acquired 25,000+ 78s. Give me another 4 years and
let's see where I'm at - ha!
I have 5-6 friends who are right around my age and are also serious. I think
one of them acquired at least part of Jack Palmer's collection as I remember
him asking me which Dalhart's I needed 2-3 years ago (and I think he
mentioned it was a lot of Jack's records).

I also have a few friends in their early 20s who are developing into serious
collectors. The thing is many of them can not afford to regularly compete on
ebay or even the vmauctions site - but they are out junking (and turning
stuff up) most weekends! I know of one who routinely reads 78-l (and the
ARSC list - hi Mike!), but is still learning (much like myself) and just
doesn't have a whole lot to contribute.

As these folks age and become experienced, I'm sure they will take the place
of many collectors that are leaving us. Four and half years ago, I never
wanted to spend more than $2 on a record. Now it seems like everything I
want is at least $50! I also spend as much time as I can soaking up
information & knowledge from other collectors so someday I can pass it on as
well.

These records will always be desired and collected, I'm sure of it. At some
point in my lifetime, I do believe that it will become near impossible to
junk records with any frequency. Those of you who were collecting in the 50s
and 60s (or even the 70s) may feel like that time has already come, but it
still is possible to turn up great records. It just takes a lot of pre-work
trying to find the folks that have them - you can't just blindly drive
around (you can, but you'll waste a lot of time).

So, in the future, it may be an even tougher hobby to get started with, but
some people just have it in the blood. Personally, I don't have a choice - I
compelled to buy and sell records and begin to feel twitchy if I go to long
without buying or finding something!

Malcolm in GA

Venerable Music - http://www.venerablemusic.com/
78rpm Auctions - http://www.vmauctions.com/