[78-L] Walter Winchell

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Mon Nov 8 19:45:48 PST 2010

Probably the first Savoy release after its early black label 100 series is Savoy 500,
the start of the main jazz/R&B series, with Henderson's Crown recording of
Sugar Foot Stomp, taken from Varsity.

Han Enderman
===
>>> Crown may or may not be an orphan label, but Savoy (and its successors,
currently owned by Denon I think) claimed to own it by virtue of "owning" the
rights to Varsity masters which included many originals from Crown. Columbia
had no direct right of succession to it but could have tried to license a track
or just used it and made a "best effort" to determine the owner.

Columbia always owned Harmony and Velvet-Tone, and acquired OKeh in 1926.

dl

On 11/8/2010 8:46 PM, Dan Van Landingham wrote:
> Was Crown one of those labels swallowed up by Columbia?
<<<