[78-L] Ready Steady Freddy

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Nov 7 09:51:11 PST 2010

Only one F Martin record?  Oh,  what musical depravation you're suffering!!!

I have about 60 pre-war Martins going back to his first credited records on
Columbia in 1932,  and they all say "Freddy."  I think he must have started
spelling it "Freddie" after WW2.

BTW I hope any of you jazz purists will give the Martin band a spin,  esp.
in the 1932 - 36 era.  Loads of nice solos and fills by guitarist George Van
Eps,  pianists Terry Shand and Jack Fina,  and often some nice trumpet work
by,  as I recall,  Manny Weinstock.  Also the records issued on ARC as by
The Van Eps Dance Orchestra in 1934 are actually  by a Martin unit (or maybe
the full band) and they are full o' jazz,  esp. "Neighbors" and "Shadows of
Love."  Super fine and tart-toned clarinet on those is worth special
attention.

Taylor Bowie (always have spelled it with an "ie")