[78-L] "Protection" and other problems

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Nov 6 17:42:13 PDT 2010

Benno's perspective is an interesting one,  but does not address all the
issues or tell all the stories.

In the course of selling and buying books and records through the mail,  I
have noticed an unpleasant uptick of fraud from Europe over the last six or
eight years.   In some cases,  even retaining all the paperwork to prove
delivery has not been enough to convince eBay or the credit card company
that the buyer was lying when they claimed non-delivery...and the money
collected from Pay Pal or from the buyer's credit card vanishes from our
bank account.

One of the sales was to a man in Germany who refused to pay for a $500 book.
Another was to a French institution which informed us that they were
returning a book (without providing a reason).  The book never arrived here,
but of course the money was deducted from the Pay Pal account.

So to answer Benno's original question about from what a seller should be
protected,  I would say the answer is "organized and deliberate fraud" which
in my experience comes from Europe more than from the US,  Canada or the UK.
Despite what we've heard about problems from Russia,  South America and some
other places...no problems from any of them so far.

Taylor (not planning to retire when I'm 60 OR 62 either!)