[78-L] New records in the jukebox

david.diehl at hensteeth.com david.diehl at hensteeth.com
Tue Nov 2 20:01:50 PDT 2010

>Speaking of Varsity,did Obie start the Wright Record Company label?
 Yes, he teamed up with the owners of the faltering Sonora pressing plant while he was still working at RCA. A Sonora-pressed Victor is not a thing of beauty I assure you. Oberstein left Victor effective June 1, 1948 and the revived Varsity was on the market in July. During the Korean War there was a revival of the O.P.A ceiling price structure and he brought out the Hit label launch a higher-priced product.
DJD

Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com