[78-L] Vera Guilaroff

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 1 19:34:09 PDT 2010

This is more complete than Litchfield's listings. Could be Jim Kidd's from
Record Research, which I remember as being very thorough.

I'll add the biography, which IS in Litchfield:

Born London, England, 26 October 1902; died Montreal, 23 October 1976. Came to
Canada as a child. Studied piano, and at age 14 played for silent films at the
Regent Theatre. Protege of Montreal pianist Willie Eckstein, with whom she
appeared on radio. A great friend of Herbert S. Berliner (owner of the Compo
record company and son of Emile Berliner, the inventor of the flat record) who
sang a vocal on one of her records. Recorded for Compo in Montreal 1925-30 and
for HMV in England 1937. Also made piano rolls 1926 (see Piano Rolls). Married
Harry Raginsky (drums, xylophone) and appeared with him in vaudeville. Active
on Montreal during 20s and 30s, billed as 'The Princess of the Piano'.
Performed in England for the BBC. Although not a jazz pianist, Guilaroff often
played in a jazz or ragtime style.
(Jack then refers to Jim Kidd's complete discography but doesn't indicate where
the reader could find it.)

dl