[78-L] de Leath mystery & Scrappy misery

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Nov 1 11:43:33 PDT 2010

No,  that is the name of it...shamed to admit I actually hadn't played that
side so didn't realize that it was in the "laughing record" genre.

I guess I should 'fess up here that over the last year or so I've gotten to
appreciate Miz De Leath where for many years before that she gave me a pain.
Sometimes (most times?)  it pays to put aside prejudice and take a fresh
look/listen to something...you might me pleasantly surprised,  as I was with
the singer I used to call "V.D."  Thanks to Sean Miller for setting me on
the path to understanding.

I just recently found an electric Okeh of hers doing a song with a very
unpromising title..."Old Names of Old Flames."  But damn if she doesn't
carry it off,  as silly as it is.

At the same time I found a 4000 Brunswick of  Harold "Scrappy" doing one of
the worst movie theme tunes of the late 20s,  Woman Disputed.  It is so
dreadful I had to play it twice in a row to believe it.  I know The Scrapper
has many fans,  and he did make some very good sides,  but when he was "off"
he was way way off.

Taylor