[78-L] For lovers of British Dance Band music

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sun Oct 31 16:34:36 PDT 2010

Taylor Bowie wrote 2010-10-31 21:10:

 > Besides Bowlly, my fave English band singer is Sam Browne. None of the
 > women band singers do much for me...often they sound like the just
left the
 > cast of a Sigmund Romberg operetta. I don't recall Anne Lenner but
will try to check her out, per Julian's
--
Try Dorothy Carless (recorded with Ambrose), a deep sensual voice, not
unlike Anne Shelton's - who also recorded a few titles as band singer
 > Speaking of Gibbons, I recently got a piano solo of his where he also
 > sings...not a great voice but a very enjoyable record, both sides.
Anyone
 > know how many of these vocal records he made?

----
He was featured as vocalist on more than 30 titles with the Savoy Hotel
Orpheans, most of them made after 1940.
He sang on a few of his piano medleys, but as far as I know, not on the
titles recorded with the small combos, his Playmates & his Boyfriends.
Kristjan