[78-L] [Fwd: The Clef Label Icon]

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 15:43:09 PDT 2010

I had a couple of those Granz produced albums one was a jam session that
included Charlie Parker and
Johnny Hodges.As for Joe Guy,I lost track of him after 1947 around the time he
was "married" to Billie
Holiday.Whar recordings I had of him were from around 1941.I had an album on
Springboard which

featured Charlie Christian and Dizzy Gillespie.The venue was supposed to be
Minton's Playhouse but on
one track,I hear the m.c. say,rather clearly,"MON-ROES".I believe that
particular track was from Mon-
roe's Uptown House.From what I recall,Gillespie was on trumpet;Nick Fenton
played baritone sax and
string bass;Don Byas was on tenor but I can't recall who the drummer and pianist
were.Monk may have
been the pianist.The original recordings were done by a man named Newman who
recorded the perfor-
mances on paper discs.Those performances were issued in the '50s on
Esoteric/Counterpoint.The songs
I recall hearing were "Stompin' at the Savoy","Guy's Got to Go" and "Star Dust"
which featured Byas and
Gillespie.