[78-L] Sex sex sex sex sex (was: Re: Gennett Art Tone (off on a typical 78-L tangent))

D P Ingram darren at ingram.fi
Sat Oct 30 00:20:13 PDT 2010

The full OED speaks about "sexagon" as being a rare word.

Math. Now rare.

    = HEXAGON n. 1.

1616 A. RATHBORNE Surveyor IV. 114 To inscribe a Sexagon within a circle giuen. 1688 R. HOLME Acad. Armory III. ix. 377/2 A Sexagone, Hexagone, or Exagon. 1702 V. MANDEY tr. J. J. Hainlin Synopsis Mathematica: Geom. II. ii. 165 So in an inscribed Square, we may inscribe an Octagon; in a Sexagon, a Duodecagon. 1798 Jrnl. Tour to Scarborough 4 Cross ascended by a flight of steps (sexagon I think). 1873 ‘OUIDA’ Pascarèl III. vi, The white sexagons of the stars of Bethlehem grew amongst the grasses. 1908 Daily Chron. 19 Feb. 9/6 Show~case,..sexagon shape. 1995 College Math. Jrnl. 26 192 The now-nonexistent forms sexagon and septagon are similar to sextant and septuplet.

On 30 okt 2010, at 04.46, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:

> Grrr.
> If there's a hexagon (1st citation ca. 1656) and a nonagon (1st citation
> ca. 1688) and there is such a word as sextuple (there is) then there
> SHOULD also be a sextagon. Neither are in my 1971 or my 1985 Webster's.
> The OED? My 1971 Compact Edition Of The Oxford English Dictionary shows
> sexagon & sexagonal.
> That doesn't seem quite right, though, but I'll bow to the authority.
> Sexagon it is!
> So, the most common Gennett label has a sexagonal border.
> Anything else, kiddies?
> Mal

¦ D P Ingram ¦ Ab Ingram Oy ¦
¦ darren at ingram.fi ¦  www.ingram.fi ¦