[78-L] Sex sex sex sex sex (was: Re: Gennett Art Tone (off on a typical 78-L tangent))

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Oct 29 20:36:04 PDT 2010

From: Malcolm Rockwell
> Grrr.
> If there's a hexagon (1st citation ca. 1656) and a nonagon (1st citation
ca. 1688) and there is such a word as sextuple (there is) then there
SHOULD also be a sextagon. Neither are in my 1971 or my 1985 Webster's.
The OED? My 1971 Compact Edition Of The Oxford English Dictionary shows
sexagon & sexagonal.
> That doesn't seem quite right, though, but I'll bow to the authority.
Sexagon it is!
> So, the most common Gennett label has a sexagonal border.
> Anything else, kiddies?

So...what is the difference between "hexagonal" and the newly-invented
"sexagonal"...?!

Steven C. Barr