[78-L] Arthur Gibbs matrix mixup!

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Thu Oct 28 16:14:47 PDT 2010

Greetings from FixitLand!

Arthur Gibbs and His Gang recorded just four titles for Victor, in
two sessions. Just happened to notice that the online Encyclopedic
Discography of Victor Recordings (EDVR) and Rust (and, by extension,
the Abrams files and Ty Settlemier's site) differ on the matrix
numbers of the first session. Per EDVR (augmented a little by me):

ARTHUR GIBBS AND HIS GANG
22nd Floor, 28 W. 44th St., New York, 24 April 1923.
[Recorded at 78.00 rpm]
B 27849-3  Beale Street Mamma - Victor 19070-B  (-1 Destroyed, -2 Hold)
B 27850-4  Louisville Lou - Victor 19070-A  (-1,-2 Destroyed, -3 Hold)

Rust (and derivatives therefrom) have the matrix numbers 27849 and
27850 reversed. I haven't seen late editions of Jazz Records -- has
the apparent error been corrected? I'm inclined to believe EDVR.

Take care,

Joe
—
Poof read? Why brother?