[78-L] A Canuck oddity?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 27 20:38:19 PDT 2010

On 10/25/2010 8:23 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "David Lennick"<dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> Actually it's the Black&  White set, which I've had on both US and
>> Canuckistanian pressings (the Canadians are SLIGHTLY quieter). I think
>> you'll
>> see that the spine of the album looks like a Sparton product, similar to
>> Canadian Columbia sets, but that the front cover may be an imported slick
>> with
>> "Musicana" added to it. (Signature was being issued in Canada by Maple
>> Leaf at
>> this time, I think..there's a ton of research to be done into the Canadian
>> companies that covered US indies, and it's something I'm working on at the
>> moment, while there are still a few warm bodies who remember who what
>> where
>> when and why).
>>
> Yup...you're right, my error! It is the B&W set, in what would appear to be
> the US B&W album...but contains Musicana(C) records. Here is where we
> could use the expertise of the sadly late Ross Brethour...who probably
> could have provided the complete explanation...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Now, does the spine look like a Sparton (Canadian Columbia) album or is it
white, like the US original? I found my copy which has Canadian pressings in it
but it's the original American album, but I likely substituted the better
pressings in my copy.

I got lots of Ross's records and test pressings and tapes and 5 extra copies of
his Mart Kenny book (which went to Taylor Bowie), but Ross's brain stayed with him.