[78-L] 1928 Charlie Chaplin film - extra has a cell phone???

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Tue Oct 26 10:36:23 PDT 2010

>http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2010/10/whaaa-1928-charlie-chaplin-film-has-a-cell-phone-in-it
>
>Can anyone explain this? I can't.
>
>Cary Ginell

I don't think it's so mysterious. There's a woman holding her hand to
the side of her head. There may be something in her hand. We've been
conditioned to interpret this image as someone talking on a mobile
phone. Since there were no mobile phones in 1928, she had some other
reason for holding her hand by the side of her head. We don't have
enough information to figure out why she is doing this. On a
different web site I saw someone suggest she was holding a hearing
aid such as this one:

http://www.hearingaidmuseum.com/gallery/Carbon/WesternElectric/info/westelect34a.htm

I believe in Occam's razor. In this case, the idea that the woman is
a time traveler who brought a cell phone with her is *far* from the
simplest explanation.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/