[78-L] Twenty Thousand records and fourteen phonos

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Oct 24 19:48:46 PDT 2010

From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Why would 1,500 78s be sleeveless? Looks like the guy was an accumulator
> rather than a collector.
>      Julian Vein

Either (1) he bought them in (a?) large lot(s) on an "as is, where is" basis
(these
are usually w/o sleeves...?!)...or he sold the sleeves to a collector
thereunto
(there ARE such things...?!). The question of "accumulator vs. collector" is
dependent on two (at least) things: (1) did he ever PLAY them...and (2) did
he own/use any related discographic works?!

Note that I am probably more of an "accumulator" than a collector...EXCEPT
that I am heavily involved in discographic research as a sideline...! I DO,
however, have both a (sort of) finite goal and a reason therefor...! My goal
is "EF78*REM" (* non-classical)...and my "reason" is to try and ensure that
at least ONE copy of every 78 will survive (for future listeners and/or
researchers)!

Steven C. Barr
(who just bought about 50 78's for $2, along with another 20-odd for
about $8...!)