[78-L] Edison Diamond Discs - Need Cleaning Advice

Dave at Audio Tech Transfer audiotechtransfer at bresnan.net
Sun Oct 24 08:35:37 PDT 2010

> Vodka. 3 glasses and everything will sound just peachy.
>
> dl

Ha ha ha!  No doubt!  :-)

Thanks for all the great responses.

I have a homemade wet/vac RCM.  I used my standard procedure (for vinyl discs) to clean the Edison Diamond Discs.  I took great care not to get fluids near the disc edge or spindle hole.

1) Apply DIY cleaning solution (2 parts distilled water, 1 part 91% isopropyl, Photo-Flo) onto disc.  Rotate platter while vigorously working fine nylon brush into grooves.

2) Straight distilled water onto disc.  Repeat rotation and brush action.

3) Vacuum fluid off disc.

These three steps take about 30 seconds, so the likelihood of water penetrating through the phenolic resin disc surface is practically nil.  Discs are now very clean with no evidence of ill effect from the cleaning process.

I have a Stanton 500 wired to null lateral signal and I'm happily spinning 90 year old music and comedy sketches.  Fun stuff!

Best regards,

Dave "Cactus Cowboy"