[78-L] Dating two late Canadian RCA 78s

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 23 18:12:33 PDT 2010

I had two Atlantic LPs,one of the Coasters themselves,the other a Rock and Roll
anthology of Atlantic

rock and roll/rhythm and blues hits.Both had "Charlie Brown" which was from 1959
and both were en-
tirely different recordings.No master numbers were given so I can't say if the
recordings were from the
same date.What I do remember about the Coasters' recording was the line "Who
me?" "Yeah,you" was
by the Coasters on one master and a speeded up group on the other.Recording
dates were given on the
anthology album but I don't have it here in Oregon.It may have disappeared when
my sister in law sold
1100+ albums of mine several years ago for $100.It may be back in Lometa,Texas
when I lived there

several years ago.Much of my rock and roll is still back there.Oddly enough,I've
never heard any covers
of the Coasters recordings other than what you have mentioned.I do have some
Japanese 78s of different
things like Andy Williams who recorded for Archie Bleyer's Cadence label but one
78 is on Japanese
Capitol.I have one Duke Ellington Japanese Columbia where the label looks like
the mid to late '20s Am-
erican version.The printing on the Japanese Columbia is horrible.