[78-L] Movie dubbing

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Oct 23 11:44:34 PDT 2010

Some of the best music in any Shirley Temple musical is in Rebecca of
Sunnybrook Farm;  it's also a very entertaining movie with a great cast.

Actress Phyllis Brooks plays second female lead to Gloria Stuart,  and
Phyllis and Jack Haley sing a great tune called "Alone With You."

Her "singing " is so good in this number I'd long ago figured that it was
dubbed by someone else,  and the voice did sound familiar.

Turns out that the singing voice is that of Loretta Lee,  who made so many
fine records with the George Hall Orch on Bluebird earlier in the 30s.  I
thought she'd quit show biz after that,  so it's nice to have some of her
singing on a film sound track.

Anyone know if she did any other "ghost" singing for the movies?

Thanks from

Taylor