[78-L] A or An [was When is an LP an Lp]^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Oct 21 19:20:01 PDT 2010

From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> David Lennick wrote:
>>> NO!!  Lp was a Columbia trademark, therefore, the only proper use of it
>>> is with Columbia Lps.  Everything else is a LP !!!
>>> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com
>> Everything else is *AN* LP. Sheesh!
>> Dl
> There are ambiguities with using the indefinite article. For instance, I
> would say "An historical event", but "A history of Britain". This is
> because the emphasis is different. "Historical" is pronounced
> "Hi'-STORICAL" and history "HISS-tory".

These are NOT ambiguities! "An" is used where the initial "H" is
silent; If it is pronounced, "A" is used...! Thus, AN "istorical..." (this
is how it is spoken...!), but A "history" (the "h" is pronounced!)!
This is why English (so far NOT called "united-statesian...?!" is
VERY difficult to learn for folks who didn't grow up with it...?!

Steven C. Barr