[78-L] OT Dylan MONO box ~

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Thu Oct 21 18:09:50 PDT 2010

Just saw announcement from Sony of the recent release of
V.9 Dylan Bootleg Series - The Witmark Demos (great to have this legitimately),
and an 8CD set of Bob Dylan's first 8 albums in MONO.

WHAT is the rationale for a mono box?  Were there significant differences
between the mono and stereo releases (as was the case for Beatles albums) ?

My vague recollection (and I have not checked the web for details, which I'm
sure are there) is that one of the albums contained 4 tracks, including
Talking John Birch Society Blues (or something like that) which were issued
on a few pressings, then withdrawn (some claimed a pressing plant error, others
that it was intended for issued, but pulled back due to fear of lawsuit).

The box seems NOT to include these recordings - about the only reason I
would want yet another version of these albums.

Am I missing something?????

Best wishes, Thomas.