[78-L] Question about "O Gero Amerikanos"

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 20 19:32:41 PDT 2010

From: "ERIC BYRON" <bear128 at verizon.net>
> I am trying to learn more about the recording "O Gero Amerikanos"  by
> Demetrios Perdicopoulos. Was this recording recorded in this country or in
> Greece? Was it produced for a Greek audience in Greece or a Greek audience
> in America or both? When was it recorded and under what labels?  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.

These "ethnic" records (now being collected after years of being discarded)
were
marketed to an audience which usually consisted of new immigrants who had
emigrated to the US in search of more income...but who still enjoyed the
music
of their "old country!" Both Victor and Columbia (the smaller firms
generally
didn't bother with "ethnic" issues except for those who specialized
therein...!

In general, the two labels issued both imported sides and recordings of
"old country" music performed by newer immigrants. There exist catalogs
of the applicable issues; however, these are fairly uncommon (and priced
accordingly when/if offered for sale!).

Steven C. Barr