[78-L] Second Feinstein Episode

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Oct 16 18:21:00 PDT 2010

The second episode of Michael Feinstein's American Songbook was aired
tonight -- we didn't find an airing on Wednesday.  He visited Marty
Halperin and discussed the V-Disc program.  He played a program that
included Margaret Whiting and Feinstein asked for a copy.  The tape
Halperin was playing was 3 3/4 IPS on a TEAC.  We then see Feinstein
playing the copy on a Studer at 15 IPS.  And then he presents it on CD
to Margaret Whiting in her apartment and we watch her hearing her 1944
performance of her father's song. There also are visits to sheet music
collectors, and further looks thru sheet music in Max Wilk's home.

I don't think there was film I hadn't seen before.  They showed Over the
Rainbow from the Command Performance film and the scenes of the
recording and shipping of the discs I think are from the latter part of
that film.  Then Lena is seen in the Jubilee film.  Although they
discuss the integration of the This Is The Army road cast with Max Wilk,
he did not mention the segregation of those two radio programs.

The promo for the third episode -- with a mention that it is scheduled
for Wednesday -- shows a clip in Joe Franklin's office, and a duet with
our own Vince Giordano on his aluminum bass.

The DVD of the 2003 program came today and Leah and I watched it.  It is
completely different.  The only thing that is in both are some scenes
from the movie of This is the Army, Kate doing GBA and Irving Oh How I
Hate to get up in the morning.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com