[78-L] YMCA War Prisoners Aid American Radio Series for U.S. POWs in Germany

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Oct 16 18:07:16 PDT 2010

You are mixing several things together.  V-Discs and Armed Forces Radio
Network are two entirely different and totally separate projects.
V-discs were made for the soldiers themselves, shipped directly to their
facilities, and played and handled by the soldiers.  They were not meant
for broadcast, even by AFRS.  The AFRS recordings and broadcasts were
aired on radio stations and similar facilities, and were not in the
hands of the individual soldiers.  AFRS also had a music library service
that contained music meant for putting together broadcasts at the
individual facilities, but they were not V-Discs. I forget if the German
language Glenn Miller broadcasts were for AFN, AFRS, BBC European
Service or Voice of America, but they were not V-Discs.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com