[78-L] Flagstad White Labels [FWD]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Oct 14 18:05:56 PDT 2010

From: "Mike Harkin" <xxm.harkin at yahoo.com>
From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> There were a number of "pirate" issues of Victor classical sides
> during WWI...taken from Victor parts that had been provided via
> "The Gramophone Co."

These are "Opera Disc" and I just picked up three more of them at the
Mechanical Music show Sunday.  Two are Caruso Victors and the third was
a Gramophone Co matrix by another performer.  Before Hayes was built
around 1909, most Gramophone pressings were made in Hannover, Germany,
so there was a large archive of metals there when the war broke out.

> Before this could be settled, the German economy had been destroyed by the
> "hyperinflation" of (IIRC) 1922-23. In any case, Electrola became the trade
> name for Victor/HMV-related record issues. As well, was not Polydor also
> somehow-connected?! Steven C. Barr

Polydor was the name that was used in Germany for Gramophone Co
pressings after they could no longer used Gramophone trademark.  The
logo was a funny bald guy holding two horns to his ears, and his
nickname was "the pr_ _ k with two ears".  Electrola was a used for
export, I believe.  I'm sure the Europeans on the list can correct this.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com