[78-L] NBC (was: YOU)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 14 13:40:55 PDT 2010

I still haven't sent you my 1966 version set in St. Catharines, Ontario, have
I? I snagged Rich Little in the CJRT hallway and got him to voice Prime
Minister Lester Pearson.

On 10/14/2010 4:32 PM, Michael Biel wrote:

> (By the way, for the second year I will be broadcasting from the Grovers
> Mill landing site om the night of Oct 30.  This year the broadcast will
> be on RadioOnceMore.com and might be from 6 PM to midnight.)  We'll be
> playing the master tape I have that includes the 30 seconds of slight
> surface noise during the middle station break.  We might also be
> analyzing the modifications some fiend made to the recording last year
> to try to trick people into believing there were two performances
> recorded.  And we hope to have the WKBW version from 1968.
>
>>> Orson's use of "THE" has always stuck out in my mind. I wonder if
>>> that's how CBS insiders may have referred to the network in conversation.
>
>>> In modern usage, NBC, CBS, and ABC never have a definite article
>>> preceeding them, but the BBC almost always does!
>
> dl-- Were there any rules at "the CBC" about this??

For years it was "This is the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation" on local shows
and "This is the Trans-Canada Network (or The Dominion Network) of the Canadian
broadcasting Corporation" till about the mid 50s, when it was shortened to
"This is the CBC" or network version of same. By the early 60s it was "This is
CBC Radio, The Dominion Network" or ..

In the 30s, before November 1936, it was the Canadian Radio Broadcasting
Commission and surviving airchecks such as interviews with the Quints or Frank
Willis at Moose River (the Chilean rescue ain't got nothing on this one)
usually shorten it to "The Canadian Radio Commission".